Modern statistics suggest that almost the entire population of this country often suffers from lower back pain, but not everyone is in a hurry to start treatment. Sometimes discomfort and even pain can occur after sitting in an uncomfortable position. Although in this case, it is more likely not an alarm signal but simply a result of the spine not in the correct position.
Many people forget how important physical activity is. If you do not provide the necessary load on the spine and on the whole body, then the blood supply in the lower back will be impaired. And then with a strong load, severe pain begins.
But if pain accompanies a person most of the time, there is a good chance that there is a reason for this. And you should consult with a specialist who will conduct an examination and prescribe the correct treatment.
Why does the lower back hurt?
Pain in the lower back can be of an entirely different nature: pulling, cutting, aching, shooting, stabbing, aching, or a burning sensation. Sometimes the nature of the pain suggests the nature of the disease.
Back pain is different. It is important to understand the source and cause of the pain, as well as to initiate treatment for the disease.
However, even the most qualified specialists will not be able to immediately find the cause of the disease. Therefore, you should immediately consult a doctor, because the doctor himself will be able to determine the real cause of the problems and prescribe the necessary treatment. Doctors divide diseases of the lower back into three large groups:
- back diseases;
- diseases of internal organs;
- radiate pain.
Back diseases include many variations: degenerative, inflammatory, and traumatic spinal diseases. Before the doctor prescribes treatment, he must necessarily conduct a complete examination, since the causes of pain are dozens. In medicine, pain syndromes affecting the low back are divided into primary and secondary.
Primary low back pain syndrome is the cause of morphological musculoskeletal changes. As a result, the back hurts. All parts of the spine are constantly undergoing degenerative-dystrophic changes:
- osteonecrosis - damage to bone and cartilage tissues, damage to the discs and adjacent vertebrae, leading to spondylolisthesis;
- protrusion (herniated disc) - a process by which the disc bulges without rupture of the annulus, which does not manifest itself for a long time.
Secondary syndromes act as a kind of signal that there are serious problems in the body. With secondary syndromes, the causes of lower back pain are more:
- scoliosis - scoliosis;
- inflammation with a non-infectious nature;
- spine fracture;
- tumors on the vertebrae, in the retroperitoneal space, in the spinal cord;
- infectious diseases affecting the vertebrae and discs (with tuberculosis, brucellosis, epidural abscess, etc. );
- a stroke condition that disrupts the blood supply to the spinal cord and there is a feeling of pain in the lower back;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Often back pain is reflected in nature, that is, the pelvic organs are affected by some disease (renal colic or venereal disease).
Diseases of internal organs
It often happens that lower back pain is not caused by back problems, but is a reflection of the pain sensations felt by organs from deep within. In most cases, the pain comes from the pelvic organs: pancreas, kidney, colon, retroperitoneal tumor. The causes of pain are very diverse, so only a good specialist can identify the disease in time and prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Causes of acute low back pain
There are many causes of back pain, but they all involve the spine. The most harmless cause is usually an acute muscle strain. It is these muscles that are the light source of pain, they limit a person's movement. Athletes and people with severe physical exertion are most commonly affected by this disease.
A common but harmless cause of back pain is hypothermia. Usually, girls who wear skirts and pants with a low waist are defeated, that is, the lower back remains open on the street. Contrary to popular belief, you can "cold" your lower back not only in winter but also in summer.
Also, quite often, the lower back can be painful even years after a spinal injury.
Causes of back pain due to internal diseases:
- when detecting gastric and duodenal ulcers on the back of the mesh;
- acute pancreatitis leads to painful urination, the cause of which is an error in the diet;
- renal colic in urolithiasis is characterized by dysuria;
- diseases of the female reproductive organs (uterine fibroids or endometriosis) that disturb girls before menstruation and in its first days;
- when acute appendicitis is located retrocecal or retroperitoneal.
- prostatitis or malignancy of the prostate gland, leading to low back pain in men.
Diseases of the hip or sacrum lead to severe pain in the lower back. Pain in the hemiparesis is called paresis, and in the hip region is called hemiparesis. Diffuse pain is difficult to localize because it resembles low back pain or sciatica. Therefore, treatment must be started urgently.
In addition to physiological causes, psychological causes of back pain are also identified. It is believed that this may be due to a person taking on too many duties and responsibilities, but not receiving support from loved ones. In addition, low back pain can occur when the patient does not feel secure. In addition, the reasons may be of a sexual nature (resentment, dissatisfaction, insult, refusal to have sex). Therefore, it may be necessary to seek treatment from a psychologist.
How to avoid back pain
In some cases, the following tips will help you avoid pain, and in some cases, they can significantly reduce chronic low back discomfort.
- Move more and sit less, and if you do sit down, make sure your back is in the correct position.
- If you sit for a long time, take a break every 45-60 minutes for light exercise.
- Do not lift heavy objects or do it properly: bend legs, hold load on outstretched arms, straighten legs evenly.
- The abdominal muscles need to be kept in good shape.
- Every day you need to perform special exercises to strengthen the spine and its muscles.
Lower back pain is a rather alarming symptom, indicating that the cause may be very deep and may require urgent treatment.
It seems that the problem is one thing, but in reality things are quite different. Therefore, you can not self-medicate, but go to the doctor immediately, the doctor will prescribe the appropriate treatment method. It is best to identify the cause of the pain in the early stages, until things turn into a lethargic state with all sorts of complications.